The Isles were back in Consol Energy Center for the first time since getting smacked 6-1. The score wasn't the same but the Pens pulled out another win. Another win but at what cost? Before the game we learned that Paul Martin would be out for 6 weeks with a broken bone that needs surgery. And during the game well...you probably know.
The first period can be summed up like this:
The only thing that happened in this period was Best In The World getting hit in the mouth with a puck. A Brooks Orpik shot was deflected and hit Best In The World in the mouth. He lost a couple teeth and apparently had to have some dental work done or something. Guarantee he plays Tuesday.
The second period was pretty meh too. Both teams had a few power plays but nothing was doing. The with under 5 minutes to play Chris Kunitz bumped Josh Bailey and Bailey went flying into the boards face first. Kunitz got a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct. Horrible call if you ask us. Then Brooks Orpik tripped up Kyle Okposo who dove in our opinion. So the Pens had to kill off a 5 on 3 with one of those penalties being a major penalty. The Pens killed off what was left in the 2nd period and headed to the 3rd. Still tied 0-0.
The 3rd period kicked off and the Pens were still down 2 men. Then Matt Cooke went to work. He helped the Pens kill of both penalties. He played the penalty kill of his life. The rest of the Pens PK did their job too. They were in the Islanders mouth. The Pens killed off both penalties. Consol was rocking. When you see the work that Matt Cooke put it you want to see a player get rewarded for it. And he did. He corralled a puck and ripped it by Nabokov for a 1-0 Pens lead. That goal woke the Pens up. The shift after scoring Matt Cooke wrecked Matt Martin's life. The Craig Adams destroyed someone. Even Evgeni Malkin got into it. He destroyed Matt Moulson. Consol was going nuts. It got even crazier when James Neal rifled a laser upstairs to make it 2-0 Pens. The Isles pulled Nabokov with like 3 minutes left. They couldn't do anything. The Pens held on to win 2-0.
1. Tomas Vokoun
2. Matt Cooke
3. Jarome Iginla
- Iginla played 17:30, had 3 shots, 2 hits and was a plus 1. The chemistry with him Neal and Malkin developed as the game went on.
- No word on Crosby yet. It's know that he lost some teeth. There is a rumor he had to have some surgery. No word on his status for Tuesday. We bet he plays.
- Matt Cooke played like his life was on the line especially during the big time penalty kill in the late 2nd and early 3rd. He got rewarded with a goal. His first in 14.
- James Neal finally got a goal. His first in 9.
- Tomas Vokoun is in a zone.
- The Pens have a shutout streak of over 200 minutes dating back to the middle of the Philadelphia game.
- Douglas Murray is already winning us over.
Buffalo Tuesday at 7:30