When the Pens and Kings get together you can usually bank on seeing a really good game. The teams usually go back and forth trading chances and its usually a low scoring goalie duel. Last night was different. It was the 1st period and then a snooze fest.
The Pens got on the board 1st, 57 seconds into the game, when Evgeni Malkin was left alone 2 feet in front of an open goal. Cardboard Orpik could have scored it. Then the Kings answered and it looked like we were going to have a shootout. Then something happened that I have never seen before. Evgeni Malkin was doing whatever he wanted in the Kings zone. He was simultaneously slashed and hooked by Dustin Brown and Jarret Stoll. Both penalties were called and the Pens got a 5 on 3. And they cashed in twice. First Chris Kunitz was left wide open in the slot. He ripped a one timer passed Quick to make it 2-1. Then Jussi Jokinen ripped a wrist shot by Quick to make it 3-1. After the 1st Quick was yanked in favor of Martin Jones. The game went in to a lull and things didn't get better for the Kings. Tanner Glass yes Tanner Glass made Robin Regher look like a fool then roofed a back hander top shelf to make it 4-1. The game went back in to a lull. Jeff Zatkoff had to make a few nice saves but that was it.
1. Jussi Jokinen
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Screw Matt Niskanen we are making Zatkoff the 3rd star
- Zatkoff was solid. No clue how he wasn't named a star.
- 36-71-18 were doing whatever they wanted.
- Robin Regher should probably retire after being embarrassed by Tanner Glass.
- Letang missed last nights game because he was sick. Robert Bortuzzo took his place and, once again, was really solid.
- Pretty sure no King other than Anze Kopitar showed up last night. Johnathan Quick sucks.
Pens next game is tomorrow in Glendale against the Coyotes at 8.