Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Crowds at Consol Energy Center

It wouldn't be a Penguins season if we didn't write a post bitching about the crowds at the Consol Energy Center. This post is fueled by a spark that Mark Madden brought up today. Like we've said before, we don't always agree with Mark Madden, but yet once again, we agree with Mark Madden. Madden tweeted this out of a conversation today.
    1. BTW, crowds don't impact games. I just thot last night at Consol was a crap atmosphere.
    2. it was embarrassing, I was there. Consol doesn't hold a candle to Civic/Mellon. I blame all the suits.
    3. I blame all the kids. Too many rich, spoiled little kids at Consol. We need more adults.

We couldn't agree more and I was at Consol last night, so let's talk about my experience.

Last night was not the first game I have attended this year. I was at the Jussi hat trick vs Carolina game and the 3-2 win over Edmonton. Both of those games had a crap atmosphere. The Edmonton game was especially bad with all of the corporate guys leaving with 8:00 left in a 1 goal game.

Back to last night. I sat with my friend in Section 233, where a lot of the real fans sit because those tickets are cheaper. We got to the game early and picked up our Student Rush tickets at 6:30 when the gates opened. We sat in our seats for awhile and everytime a Flyers fan would walk down one of the aisles, we started heckling them in good Penguins-Flyers fun. At one point, a lady wearing a Flyers fan walked down the aisle and we started to boo her. While we were booing her, some guy looked back at us like we were idiots. Keep in mind, this is before the game. When it was time for the 8:08 puck drop, Consol was actually pretty full and when Kunitz scored the disallowed goal, Consol was actually loud for the first time that I can remember in awhile, but after the goal was taken away, it kind of took the air out of the arena. At one point, my friend and I tried to start a "Last Place Flyers" chant, and it didn't pick up any steam. We also tried a "Flyers Suck" chant, but no dice either. I've been to Pens-Flyers games in Consol and Mellon, and nothing compares to what they're like in Mellon. Flyers Suck chants were a common sound in the Igloo, but at Consol, it seems like no one gives a shit. When Hartnell and Bortuzzo went at it in the 2nd, a small "Hartnell Sucks" chant broke out, but that didn't gain much steam either. Not only are these fans who go to the game "rich and spoiled" like Double M said, but they also have no hockey knowledge, which may come to no surprise to any of you. A few times I heard people boo the one Pens powerplay that actually cycled the puck and got a few shots off that either Emery stopped or the puck went high or wide. During this powerplay, the Pens probably had puck possession in their own zone for 65% of it. I heard a guy behind me yell icing every time the Flyers or Pens would dump a high puck from their own zone that had no steam to get to icing. The loudest cheer of the night was probably when Tanner Glass blocked like 59329 shots on one shift, which actually impressed me because that's something you should cheer about. The worst part of the night was with 5:45 left in the 3rd, half of the crowd left, in a 2-1 game vs your rivals. Why?!? Why does this arena have the fascination of leaving early? I get that you pay for the tickets so you have a right to come and go when you feel like it, but why? I would love for someone who leaves these games early to give me an honest to God good reason to why they do, because I'm sure I can find any counter argument for why not.

You guys might not like this statement, but the fans at the Corporate Entertainment Center need to take a page out of Philly or DC fans. Those fans are into the game every single shift and they're usually loud, especially when they play the Pens. I was at the Verizon Center a couple years ago for a Pens-Caps game and it was loud the entire game, Pens fans need to take a page out of them and be loud. The only noise should not be made because Iceburgh is blowing a horn just to get you to cheer.

And if you're going to leave early, or not make noise, then just give your tickets to the real fans and go spend your money somewhere else.

Go Pens.






1 comment: